So today i am starting a series of recipes that I have been working on for a little bit now. They’re pretty easy, super tasty and freeze well. And that is the point of this series of recipes, bulk cooking and freezer meals that are yummy and will ensure that your family has something amazing to eat when you don’t actually want adult.
I love food guys, like so much and tasty hearty big meals are my absolute best. So you will probably notice a trend in my recipes, they’re all loaded with tomato, there are a lot of pasta dishes and I like a little bit of spice. But the bonus with these dishes is that you can totally sub a zillion things to work for your family and what makes your tastebuds tingle!
So first up we have an ‘almost puttanesca’. Puttanesca is one of my best dishes in the world to eat, it’s my ultimate comfort food and I thought I would share my take on this yummy dish. So firstly, Puttanesca is not traditionally a vegan or even vegetarian dish for that matter, which means I needed to vegan it up a little. It is also not a very veggie friendly dish, and doesn’t have a complete protein happening in there, so I made a few changes. The reason these changes were important for me is that I often do a 20/4 fast, where I fast for 20 hours and feast for 4 hours, this means I need to get all my daily macro’s into like 2 meals.
There are many theories about how Puttanesca came to be, from brothel food, to shaming women that only cook from jars and cans to a story of a restaurant that stayed open all night just one time. But back story aside this dish is yummy! So lets get right to it!
- Spaghetti 500g dry (you can use whatever pasta you want here)
- Pitted Black Olives 200g
- Capers 60g
- Whole peeled tomatoes 3 tins
- Generous handful of fresh basil
- Kidney Beans 2 tins
- Tomato Paste 50g
- Button Mushrooms 250g
- Garlic 3 cloves
- Baby Spinach 200g
- 1 tsp of mixed spice
- Salt and black pepper
- Canola Oil
- tsp brown sugar
- Roughly chop your mushrooms and peel and finely chop your garlic, throw these in your pot with a few glugs of oil, your mixed spice and start browning at med-high heat.
- then add you olives and capers and cook a little more and then stir in your tomato paste until its all coated in tomatoey goodness and sprinkle in your lil bit of brown sugar.
- Add your tins of tomatoes in there and give those tomatoes a little crush against the side of the pot then add your kidney beans
- Add about 10 twists of salt to your pot and about 20 twists of black pepper (or more, if you love black pepper like me)
- At this point you can add half a cup of water or white wine if it looks a little low on liquids.
- Bring to a quick boil and then reduce the heat down all the way and let simmer for the duration of cooking your spaghetti
- Then in a large pot, bring some water to boil and use this water to cook your pasta, follow the instructions on the pasta pack.
- In a giant bowl mix your sauce and spaghetti together and at this point you can add your baby spinach, they will blanch in the heat from the sauce and pasta.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and black pepper and enjoy
Yay, thats it, this made 5 very big servings, but i can eat, like a lot, so for regular people this would probably make about 7 or 8 servings. This dish goes really well with a simple side green salad and maybe some toasted ciabatta.
If you try this recipe, let me know what you think? Are there any dishes you would like to make in bulk, but don’t know if they freeze well? is there a dish you love, but want to know how to veganify it?
Thank you for reading this lil blog post here and i hope you all have the best day!